Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Changed Musical Interests

One thing I've been thinking about lately a lot is how and why my music taste has changed so drastically. Growing up, Rhythm and Blues and Electronic were my two favorite genres and I would spend tons of time searching them up, as well as even attempting to produce them. Occasionally, orchestrals as well. But as time has gone on, I've really switched interests. It probably started when I was 23 years old and I picked up a guitar, determined to learn new skills and areas. There was a change inside of me, along with a lot of rapid transitions into different hobbies in my life.

Now when I hear RnB, I find it catchy, but am bored by it. Nice genre, but doesn't capture what I want from a genre anymore. The lyrics weren't even important to me in the first place, I just liked the way the sound was. But not nearly as much anymore. Surprisingly to me, I went through a Beatles phase a few years ago and I was never into The Beatles as a kid. Only their 70s music though, as I still find their 60s songs cheesy and repetitive. I didn't even realize the large change in their musical direction from the 60s to the 70s. Matter of fact, I started paying attention to their background stories as well. This is another aspect I rarely got into as a kid. Personal biographies on artists.

The only genres I can really listen for prolonged periods of time nowadays is a lot of Metal and a bit of Rock. My favorite bands are Black Sabbath and Type O Negative and I would have never been able to tell you what songs they've made or who the lead singers were fifteen years ago. 

Now I recognize just about every song of theirs and have a bit of knowledge about their lead vocalists. I listened lightly to Smashing Pumpkins in the 90s and it's still nice to revisit their albums though. A lot of this music I listen to now is fresh to me and maybe I just relate to it more. 

Alexander Seid
IS101-2003

8 comments:

  1. Tastes, habits, views, and mindsets evolve as we age -- ahem, evolve ^_^

    I wonder what genre of music you will like in ten years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taste in music does change I think for everyone. I grew up with heavy metal and now listen to hip hop and oldies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexander, I love this blog post. It's cool that rock has been your main genre. That says a lot. I have felt kind of weird and alone in my music tastes because all of a sudden, I am into jazz and classical. It has helped me drive, study, and perform work better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always think of this. When I was a kid my mom would listen to Lauryn Hill, Gwen Stefani, and The Cranberries. Where as now she just listens to the most random stuff. On that same note of evolving, every year I try pickles hoping maybe I'll start liking them and I never do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My music taste is fairly similar from what I listened in middle school.. I've always enjoyed listening to Pop, RnB, Acoustics, Lofi, etc. I'd say the most notable difference of my taste in music is when I began listening to Korean music, K-rnb, and K-indie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I honestly don't know what my taste in music is, I'll listen to anything that sounds good and isn't rap. I don't even know the different types of music.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My taste in music is K-POP. Do I understand anything they sing? NOPE, not a single word. Will I be bopping to a sad song? Probably.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In more recent months thanks to my girlfriend I have expanded my music taste and I had never realized how much good music I was missing out on just because I didn't think that I would like it. Don't knock it until you try it.

    ReplyDelete