Thursday, February 4, 2021

The Obscure Increase In Health Problems

Many reports have shown a steady uptick in depression and general health abnormalities worldwide, so much that it has led to it becoming a costly industry. But where is this increase coming from?

I think if we are considering external factors, it can be multiple culprits. Processed foods, preservatives, heavy metals and method of food preparation can be one. All of these can contribute to a reduction of nutrients recieved from the food as well as unnatural interactions with our cells inducing inflammation, oxidation and stress. Normal function would subsequently be compromised. These three factors, inflammation, oxidation and stress have pointed to be paramount contributers to a myriad of health diseases and disorders. Countries with the highest amounts of anti-inflammatory food actually have been correlated, maybe looser than I would like, to having lower such health incidents. Heart disease, cancer, and depression to list three. Maybe another culprit is the type of technology we are bombarded with on a daily basis and of which continues to grow. We now are in the time period of 5th Generation wireless technology (5G), which runs in the microwave range of the electromagnetic frequency spectrum. People want faster download and upload speeds, but this can very well be at the expense of our health. There have been scientific studies showing rats developing tumors when exposed to such high electromagnetic radiation. My third idea of what can be adding to the health epidemic is lack of vitamin D and sunlight. Vitamin D is crucial in synthesizing neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine, which are frequently targetted in people with mood disorders. Lack of these two things would also imply lack of physical activity usually, which wouldn't serve very well. On the backburner, which isn't something I have thought enough about to make any bold claims is the constant attention and negativity we receive from social media and popular culture. 

One interesting tidbit is it has been studied in people with high suicidal ideation and suicide victims that their brains shows significantly low levels of the protein Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor, which is commonly abbreviated to "BDNF". This is known to function in creating new brain cells and maintain a healthy lifespan of them. It can obviously be deducted that BDNF can very well be lacking due to cellular damage from earlier problems I've mentioned earlier in this post. There are supplements, drugs and physical activities that can tremendously improve BDNF levels. 

This leads to my last question and note. What can be done to combat this situation? I wonder if aside from finding personal solutions to it, there are industry solutions we can bring to work towards.


Alexander Seid
IS101-2003

15 comments:

  1. Interesting ideas. I have heard some of them before but I have not heard of "BDNF". Thanks for introducing it to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you brought this topic to the table, and mentioned that the times we're living in make an impact on our health. I always knew that with wireless technology more waves would then be streaming through the air, but understanding that it can put such an expense on health, wow. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Yeah, I never really took the damaging wireless technology case seriously, but as 5G began to roll around and I've started reading and learning more about it, I wanted to at least entertain the idea.

      Delete
  3. This is a lot to consider. It reminds me about the very beginning of the pandemic where "people" were blaming the pandemic on 5G technology and I say "people" because I am starting to realize a lot of accounts are actually bots. Personally, it's not an idea I believe in; however, I do find it intriguing because I do not think it's well-developed for the United States. Distrust aside.
    Regarding supplements, movement, and avoiding processed foods: I absolutely think we need to start moving in that direction. Accountability propels us forward and prepares our children's future. It would be great to have the health industry helps us through it, but if anything, we need to see it through for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was interesting I wrote a paper for my English class on GMO's and really made me think if some of the foods we eat are safe any more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Growing up my mom was always so strict on what we ate, and not letting us eat processed foods. I never understood it much as a kid but it definitely makes more sense now. I love your blog and how you have such interesting topics to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably good your mom did that. My dad would run us through McDonalds drive thru's and Burger King to save time and money haha...I don't eat too badly though. Thank you for the compliment!

      Delete
  7. What an interesting take in health problems. It's something to consider when things such as 5G can contribute to health problems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do indoor workouts, but I hardly go outside. I suppose I should begin going outside more to get my vitamin D levels up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I went to school in Thailand, our lunches were cooked fresh daily by the chef at school. However, I noticed that American's schools often serve prepackaged non-fresh food. The quality of the food here vs. else where is on a whole other level.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's awesome to hear about why 5G is bad, I've never actually heard or tried to find anything on it before. I feel the vitamin D deficiency when it comes to winter time. That's one reason why I enjoy the hot summer day. To go out to the lake and get my full allotment of vitamin D and then some.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea until more recently the potential damage that 5g can have to your health. Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete